In every bloggers life comes a special day – the day they first launch a new blog. Now unless you went out and purchased someone else’s blog, the chances are your blog may have launched with only one very loyal reader – you. Maybe a few days later you received a few hits when you told your sister, father, girlfriend and best friend about your new blog but that’s about as far you went when it comes to finding readers.
Here are the top 10 techniques, new bloggers can use to find readers.
These are tips specifically for new bloggers, those people who have next-to-no audience at the moment and want to get the ball rolling.
It helps if you work on this list from top to bottom as each technique builds on the previous step to help you create momentum. Eventually once you establish enough momentum you gain what is called “traction”, which is a large enough audience base (about 500 readers a day is good), that you no longer have to work too hard on finding new readers. Instead your current loyal readers do the work for you through word of mouth.
Top 10 Tips
10. Write at least five major “pillar” articles. A pillar article is usually a tutorial style article aimed to teach your audience something. Generally they are longer than 500 words and have lots of very practical tips or advice. This article you are currently reading could be considered a pillar article since it is very practical and a good “how-to” lesson. This style of article has long term appeal, stays current (it isn’t news or time dependent) and offers real value and insight. The more pillars you have on your blog the better.
9. Write one new blog post per day minimum. Not every post has to be a pillar, but you should work on getting those five pillars done at the same time as you keep your blog fresh with a daily news or short article style post. The important thing here is to demonstrate to first time visitors that your blog is updated all the time so they feel that if they come back tomorrow they will likely find something new. This causes them to bookmark your site or subscribe to your blog feed.
You don’t have to produce one post per day all the time, but it is important you do this when your blog is brand new. Once you get traction you still need to keep the fresh content coming, but your loyal audience will be more forgiving if you slow down to a few posts per week instead. The first few months are critical so the more content you can produce at this time the better.
8. Use a proper domain name. If you are serious about blogging – be serious about what you call your blog.
In order for people to easily spread the word about your blog you need a memorable domain name. People often talk about blogs they like when they are speaking to friends in the real world (that’s the offline world, you remember that place right?) so you need to make it easy for them to spread the word and pass on your URL. Try and get a .com if you can and focus on small easy to remember domains rather than worry about having the correct keywords (of course if you can get great keywords and easy to remember then you’ve done a good job!).
7. Start commenting on other blogs. Once you have your pillar articles and your daily fresh smaller articles your blog is ready to be exposed to the world. One of the best ways to find the right type of reader for your blog is to comment on other people’s blogs. You should aim to comment on blogs focused on a similar niche topic to yours since the readers there will be more likely to be interested in your blog.
Most blog commenting systems allow you to have your name/title linked to your blog when you leave a comment. This is how people find your blog. If you are a prolific commentor and always have something valuable to say then people will be interested to read more of your work and hence click through to visit your blog.
6. Trackback and link to other blogs in your blog posts. A trackback is sort of like a blog conversation. When you write a new article to your blog and it links or references another blogger’s article you can do a trackback to their entry. What this does is leave a truncated summary of your blog post on their blog entry – it’s sort of like your blog telling someone else’s blog that you wrote an article mentioning them. Trackbacks often appear like comments.
This is a good technique because like leaving comments, a trackback leaves a link from another blog back to yours for readers to follow, but it also does something very important – it gets the attention of another blogger. The other blogger will come and read your post eager to see what you wrote about them. They may then become a loyal reader of yours or at least monitor you and if you are lucky some time down the road they may do a post linking to your blog bringing in more new readers.
5. Encourage comments on your own blog. One of the most powerful ways to convince someone to become a loyal reader is to show that their are other loyal readers already following your work. If they see people commenting on your blog then that infers that your content must be good since you have many loyal readers. So they will stick around and see what all the fuss is about. To encourage comments you can simply pose a question in a blog post. Be sure to always respond to comments as well so you can keep the conversation going.
4. Submit your latest pillar article to a blog carnival. A blog carnival is a post in a blog that summarizes a collection of articles from many different blogs on a specific topic. The idea is to collect some of the best content on a topic in a given week. Often many other blogs link back to a carnival host and as such the people that have articles featured in the carnival enjoy a spike in new readers.
To find the right blog carnival for your blog, do a search at http://blogcarnival.com/.
3. Submit your blog to blogtopsites.com. To be honest this tip is not going to bring in a flood of new readers but it’s so easy to do and only takes five minutes so it’s worth the effort. Go to Blog Top Sites, find the appropriate category for your blog and submit it. You have to copy and paste a couple of lines of code on to your blog so you can rank and then sit back and watch the traffic come in. You will probably only get 1-10 incoming readers per day with this technique but over time it can build up as you climb the rankings. It all helps!
2. Submit your articles to EzineArticles.com. This is another tip that doesn’t bring in hundreds of new visitors immediately (although it can if you keep doing it) but it’s worthwhile because you simply leverage what you already have – your pillar articles. Once a week or so take one of your pillar articles and submit it to Ezine Articles. Your article then becomes available to other people who can re publish your article on their website or in their newsletter.
How you benefit is through what is called your “Resource Box”. You create your own resource box which is like a signature file where you include one to two sentences and link back to your website (or blog in this case). Anyone who publishes your article has to include your resource box so you get incoming links. If someone with a large newsletter publishes your article you can get a lot of new readers at once.
1. Write more pillar articles. Everything you do above will help you to find blog readers however all of the techniques I’ve listed only work when you have strong pillars in place. Without them if you do everything above you may bring in readers but they won’t stay or bother to come back. Aim for one solid pillar article per week and by the end of the year you will have a database of over 50 fantastic feature articles that will work hard for you to bring in more and more readers.
This article was by Yaro Starak, a professional blogger and blog mentor. He is the leader of the Blog Mastermind mentoring program designed to teach bloggers how to earn a full time income blogging part time. To get more information about Blog Mastermind click this link:
Please leave us a comment – Thank You
3 Simple Steps to Find The Best Way to Make Money Online
By Keith Everett
Making money on the Internet is not as complicated as people would have you think. You see, if you make it complicated, you can sell people as many so called WONDER cures as you want and many will buy.
But one of the real problems of the whole “Internet Marketing Thing” is people tend to over complicate things instead of taking time out to wonder, or if even to ask themselves… is there a simple solution to making money on the Internet
Now, I’m not saying it’s EASY.. Easy and Simple, are not the same..
As with anything worthwhile, making money online takes effort. Consistent effort backed up with a plan, not a weak PRAYER… Here is my simple 3 step formula for making money online, take this advice or leave it.
I have spent many months over-complicating things, thinking that “If you want to make money, you must do as much STUFF as humanely possible. In fact, I’ve spent hours and hours just doing STUFF… some days, I’ve done so much STUFF… I’ve felt like my eyes could BLEED watching this computer screen..
Doing lots of STUFF, does not make you great at making money – it just makes you good, at looking like you are doing something..
So what is this MAGIC, secret formula.. well, it’s not magic and it’s cetainly not a secret, just common sense really.
1) Find a market full of people who have problems that they need to fix… do your research online to find if this same group, also spend money trying to fix the problem they have.
2) Find out exactly what they WANT… not need. People tend to spend like mad on things they WANT, much more than on things they NEED.
3) Sell it to them… that’s right – sell them what they want…
The more URGENT the problem, the better and the more they think about their problem during the day – the better..
A) An itchy ASS… not very URGENT… annoying yes, URGENT – NO!
B) PILES… Very painful, pretty urgent
A) Back Strain.. mild discomfort – not urgent
B) Back PAIN… very urgent, will be thinking about this ALL day..
A) A Tiff with a Girlfriend/Boyfriend – not urgent
B) Heartbreak & Heartache… very URGENT… a solution is Urgently needed
I think you get my drift. There are a million and one problems out there each and everyday. People are looking for answers to pressing, painful problems, i’m not talking about problems the doctor can solve, I’m talking about problems – you can solve..
So, there you have it: Find a hungry market, feed it what it WANTS… keep doing this and you may just have solved one of your own problems.. it won’t be EASY, nothing worthwhile really ever is.
I hope you have enjoyed this tip, if you have, pass it on. Why not leave a comment here ?